Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Virtual Paintout in Scotland

Inverness Castle
Watercolour and crayon
©2016 Charlene Brown

The Virtual Paintout is in Scotland this month .  I’ve visited Scotland a few times over the years, as I am of Scottish descent, so I went looking for some special locations I’ve seen.  I couldn’t find good Streetviews for the first few I tried – standing stones at Ballymeanoch, Cambelltown  and on the island of Gigha – and knew better than to try a place I’d painted before.  Then I remembered a great view of Inverness Castle from a hotel we stayed in at Inverness... We were there in July, so I wasn’t aware of the spectacular splashes of daffodils all over the lawns there until I found them on this Google Streetview


Incidentally, when I first learned that the Virtual Paintout was to be in Scotland this month, I had mentioned that I might try the Scottish Parliament (and plan to paint it next). One of the people who had heard me say that saw me working on this painting and said, “So that’s what the Scottish Parliament looks like... what’s so controversial about it?” Wait until he sees the real thing!