Friday, December 4, 2015

My favourite places in Japan

(Click on image to enlarge)
Nikko Gate
Watercolour and crayon
©2015 Charlene Brown


It’s the torii gate before you reach the main part of the Nikko shrine. Torii gates are found on the approach or entrance to all Shinto shrines, marking the transition from the physical to the spiritual world. They are usually either unpainted or painted vermillion – and I think I prefer the unpainted ones, like this one at Nikko.
   

Having said that, I found upon my return from Japan that I took more photos of the thousands of vermillion torii gates at the Fushimi Inari-taisha in Kyoto than just about any other place!  And one of the many sketches I started during my trip (and will paint some day soon) includes a couple of bright red torii gates in a village on Lake Ashi.