Wednesday, September 16, 2015

On the road again

(click on image to enlarge)
Atacama desert

Watercolour and crayon

©2015 Charlene Brown


The Atacama Desert in Chile is another South American location on 'the road less traveled' that I read about in the Globe & Mail and posted paintings of on August 26 and September 2.


When I first found the images this painting is based on I thought the mountain was very much like a Chilean volcano (Osorno) that I computer-painted in 2003. But when I compared the finished painting of the volcano in the desert to Orsorno, I realized that, apart from a similar near-symmetry and being in the same country, the two have nothing in common. 



The Atacama desert is just over 100,000 sq. kilometers of virtually uninhabited, vegetation-free, stony terrain, salares (salt lakes), sand and felsic lava. The Puerto Varas region, on the other hand is a popular tourist destination, has a wonderful climate, Lianquihue – the second largest lake in Chile, other lakes which really are "the colour of the lakes in Banff National Park in Canada!" as our guide on a Holland America shore excursion had promised, and rose gardens as far as the eye can see.