Monday, February 4, 2013

Another Twentieth Century Flashback

(click on image to enlarge)


Three Sisters
Watercolour and Photoshop™
©2013 Charlene Brown

Last week’s painting reminded me of a picture I painted in 1991 at a workshop led by California artist, Barbara Nechis.   
When I searched out that 1991 painting of the Three Sisters (shown on the left, below) I also found a floral painted at the same workshop.  The first was done as an exercise following Barbara’s demonstration of negative painting, the second after her demonstration of wet-in-wet painting.  I was asked why I had chosen to split the shading of the gradient on this second painting right in the middle.  Of course I couldn’t answer that as I hadn’t actually intended to do it that way.  But now I have my answer… it provides a nicely balanced overlay for the first painting (Photoshop Blending mode>Multiply>Opacity>70%).  The 2013 Three Sisters exists only on my computer.