Friday, November 23, 2012

Cutting-edge design (not)



(click on image to enlarge)
Memories
Computer montage
©2012 Charlene Brown
When my sister asked me to paint a picture of our childhood home, I decided to compile a QR code-derived arrangement of dozens of tiny pictures mounted on a watercolour painting.  It was to be a very cutting-edge, 21st century design of family photos from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.  Here is what happened instead…
It turned out I was the only person in my generation or the next generation of our family who could find any photo albums from the old days, and I didn't have 'dozens' of photos taken inside or near the house. Everyone's photos had been de-cluttered or stashed or had otherwise become at least temporarily inaccessible. So I decided that this layout, pretty much along the lines of a regular photo album, might be of more interest.
Technical note: The newer photos (only 50-60 years old) were sort of in colour, so for consistency, I rendered them all into gray scale, then sepia.