Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Painting Plein Air on the Danube

(click on image to enlarge)


Durnstein, Austria
Watercolour and ink
©2011 Charlene Brown


This is the postcard I sent to Robyn Sinclair when I was on a Danube-Rhine River Cruise, and she wrote some very nice things about it on A Postcard From My Walk.
I did the sketch and started painting it on the top deck (where I was unable to find a corner to back into) as we were leaving Durnstein to sail on up to Melk.
I have recently completed a 6-week course in writing Flash Fiction (really short stories – much like my blog posts).  I learned to minimize the word count by starting in the middle of the action and using dialogue to define characters and move things along quickly. So here’s the rest of this post as the script for a play: The Drama of Painting Plein Air.

Roving art critic: What’s this big thing on the hill?
Artist: The ruin of the castle where Richard the Lion Heart was imprisoned on his way home from the Third Crusade.
Critic: It doesn’t look that big.
Artist: I was up there this morning, and I know it’s huge. And the mountain it’s on is much higher than it looks from here.
Critic: And is the forest purple when you get up there?  It just looks sort of tree-coloured from here…
Artist: Yes, it is very purple when you get up there.