Thursday, January 12, 2012

Virtual Paintout in Summit County, Colorado

(click on image to enlarge)

Breckenridge from County Road 10
Watercolour
©2012 Charlene Brown

The Virtual Paintout  is in Summit County, Colorado this month. I decided to look for a location to paint in Breckenridge because it was one of the few places photographed in winter and because I skied there once, forty years ago. I'm pretty sure there were nowhere near as many ski runs then, BTW. 
Very quickly, I found this stunning view in Google Streetview.  It reminded me of a painting of the Whistler ski area that I put on my blog during the run-up to the 2010 Olympics and I considered altering the colours to match the ‘alpenglow’ in the Whistler painting… But then couldn’t figure out just where the sun would set in this west-facing view of Breckenridge and decided the whole idea was a little too inventive.