Friday, November 11, 2011

Shore excursion on the Romantische Straße

(click on image to enlarge)

Rothenburg from the castle garden
Watercolour and crayon
©2011 Charlene Brown
The day we docked in Würzburg on the Main River, we set off on a bus trip to the famous Medieval village of Rothenburg. The ‘Romantic Road’ that got us there and the village itself provided an enchanting non-stop series of sketching possibilities… but it wasn’t until our walking tour ended in the castle garden just outside one corner of the wall that I had the time to sketch anything at all!  I decided to try to capture this panoramic view of another corner of the wall on a two-page spread in my sketchbook, but neglected to match up the skyline when I flipped the book to do the second page.  Actually I realized what I’d done soon after starting the right side of the panorama, but decided to leave the skyline near the top of the page in order to have room for some of the buildings at the base of the hill.  The odd arrangement shown here is the result of scanning the pages separately and Photoshopping the ramparts back into position.