Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things to take on a painting trip to Mexico



(click on image to enlarge)
Sketches from previous painting trips
Watercolour and ink
Charlene Brown

I first started listing stuff last year with 12 Painting things to take to Peru which I soon had to modify with 5 things learned while painting in the Andes Now I’ve changed it again, given that there will be three or four other people on this family trip to Mexico who I hope will paint along with me. Finally, it occurred to me that I really should have two lists.
For plein air painting on location:
  • Portable Koi watercolour set with palette and waterbrush
  • Pencil or pen
  • watercolour postcards
  • camera
  • GPS – useful for noting latitude and longitude and direction of view
For studio painting (aka hotel, preferably plein air poolside) add the following to location list:
  • watercolour sketch book with map and archaeology notes about the Mayan civilization
  • loaded palette and a Ziploc bag to keep it in (plus extra tubes of favourite colours)
  • brushes – at least 2 round, 1 flat, 1 rigger
  • pencils, sharpener, and eraser
  • pens (fine and extra fine)
  • crayons and markers (fluorescent, bronze and copper produce a lovely Mexican look)
  • Masquepen masking fluid in 30ml applicator bottle and piece of crepe to remove it
  • glue stick for collage
  • camera