Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Back in My Mountains

Rocky Mountain Sunrise

Watercolour

©2010 Charlene Brown

There is a mystique to having lived in mountains. You never want to be away from them for too long, especially your own mountains. I grew up in Banff and I love to go back to the Rockies as often as possible. (I am sometimes asked why I would ever leave such a beautiful place, and I usually reply that it was like growing up in any other small town in the fifties - I couldn’t get out of there fast enough!)

When we visit our daughter and her family in Calgary, we sometimes stay at their cabin in the ranchland just east of Kananaskis Country, a Provincial Park that borders on Banff National Park. This is what it looked like Christmas morning. I hope I have conveyed some of the magic of the place in this painting…