Monday, June 15, 2009

Postcard from Peru

Sacsayhuaman Peru Inca
Here’s the finished version of a postcard I (barely) started painting on location in Peru last month – I mailed it to myself with the terse message, ‘Finish this!’ It shows the jagged walls of Sacsayhuaman, an Incan ruin on a mountainside above Cusco, which can be seen in the background. The huge stone blocks weigh up to 200 tons, and nobody knows how they were cut, moved and fitted (perfectly) into place!
The following is the little Drama of Painting Plein Air that took place when I started this postcard, and one of the other grandmothers in our group turned out to be a Roving Art Critic...
RAC: VIVA El Peru? That's amazing! How can you possibly read that from here?
Artist: Well actually, I can't.  I thought maybe there were some words, so I asked our guide, and he told me what it says. (Drama added June, 2012))