Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pretty Mountain Scenes

MacKenzie Mountains, Vancouver Island, Canada
Watercolour. Crayon and ink
©2009 Charlene Brown



I’ve been working on expanding my painting repertoire, which used to be almost exclusively ‘pretty mountain scenes.’ (Hence the name of my website, www.painteverymountain.ca ) However, when asked to produce a painting for the group show at the seniors centre where I paint on Wednesdays, this is what I came up with.

The scene was pieced together from several photos taken straight into the noonday sun from a bus doing about 70kph on a winding road near the west coat of Vancouver Island. Fortunately, the brilliance of the late spring snowfall was pretty memorable, as the main feature of each of my reference photos was the sunlit reflection of my camera on the window of the bus.