Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Different Strokes Challenge: Madison Ave.


DSFDF Challenge: Madison Ave. NYC
Watercolour and crayon
Charlene Brown
This is my entry in the Week 32-34 Challenge on Different Strokes from Different Folks.

The buildings in Karin Jurick’s photo were (not surprisingly) fairly straight – unlike mine which seem to relax a little more every time I look at them. (Sometime after I started this picture, even using a ruler from time to time, I lost focus as I was concentrating on putting more people in – an on-going project. This is my story and I’m sticking to it.)

I think that some landscapes pretty much have to have figures in them, and many others would be more interesting with them. Even wilderness scenes can benefit from the inclusion of a human or animal figure or two, to provide scale if for no other reason. So I’m making the effort to learn how to paint – or better still, imply – people, groups or crowds. Any suggestions are welcome…