Friday, March 20, 2009

Another Shot at the 2010 Olympics

Vancouver and the North Shore Mountains from the Olympic Village
Watercolour, crayon and marker
©2009 Charlene Brown
I don’t mean to imply that I might actually have a shot at participating in the Olympics – this shot is simply another in my series of paintings of the Olympic venues and the Sea-to-Sky Highway that connects them. And it’s a hypothetical shot at that, given that the Olympic Village from which this is supposed to be the view isn’t quite built yet. And I’ve done a little east-west contraction in order to fit in all the mountains from Howe Sound on the left to the Grouse Mountain ski hill on the right.
My next Olympics painting will be another highway shot – there’s an especially picturesque part of the route being threaded through the tops of the cliffs as it leaves the TranCanada Highway and heads north at Horseshoe Bay. But it seems like every time we go over there something’s moved or there’s a new ramp, so I’ll be waiting for the final design to reveal itself.