Friday, January 2, 2009

Finally getting started



Nile at Aswan
watercolour
painted following a University of Victoria travel study program in Egypt
©2008 Charlene Brown

‘Write a painting blog’ has been one of my New Year’s Resolutions ever since 2006, and several times I’ve proceeded all the way to step 2 – ‘Name your blog,’ where the enormity of getting it right stopped me every time. Thinking up a title with the perfect words to draw in lots of Googlers – watercolour, travel, video painting, Obama (just kidding) – didn’t work. All the titles short enough to remember have been taken. Finally, I hit upon ‘Weekly Painting Worth 1150 Words,’ mainly because it will commit me to painting and blogging regularly. It will also keep my entries short (the reasoning being that the painting will be, by definition, worth 1000 words, so I’ll only write 150 more) which I hope will increase the likelihood that my blog will actually get read. It will certainly increase the likelihood it will get written.